What is Lamh?
Lámh is the manual or key word sign system used by children and adults with intellectual disability and communication needs in Ireland.
Lámh is grant-aided by the HSE. Lámh is endorsed by the Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists and Down Syndrome Ireland.
Lámh Signing Guidelines
- Always speak the word along with the Lámh sign.
- Use appropriate facial expression and body language to emphasise what you want to communicate.
- Make the sign accurately at all times.
- Face the person and make sure you have their attention.
- Always use your dominant hand.
- Don’t hold things in your hands when signing.
- Make signs within the ‘signing space’ – (usually this means from the waist outwards and includes face and shoulders)
- Don’t cover your mouth when signing!
- To indicate more than one of something, make the sign twice.